I have not personally installed Windows 8.1 on any of my systems but I find this tremendously interesting. What do you think?
Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1 : The New Yorker
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
|Nasty, Dirty Keyboard! |
Morguefile by By Alvimann
What you will need: Can of compressed air or keyboard vacuum, melamime foam (brand name Magic Eraser or an off brand sponge eraser), cotton swabs (Q-Tip brand name is best as the cotton is secure) and some isopropyl alcohol. Do not use ethyl-based rubbing alcohol. Lint-free cloth.
- Disconnect your keyboard from your computer. If you are not using a USB keyboard, shut down the computer first before disconnecting the keyboard.
- Shake the keyboard upside down to get as much out as possible.
- Vacuum or use compressed air (while keyboard is upside down) to remove as much dust and crumbs as possible. You can also use your hairdryer (NO HEAT) to blow the crumbs if you don't have compressed air.
- Wet the eraser sponge with water or isopropyl alcohol then squeeze/wring it out as much as possible. You should not be able to get any liquid out of the sponge. It will fry your keyboard to get liquid under the keys. This is critical so you don't mess up the electronics. Use this to clean off the keys. Be VERY gentle or you could erase the letters.
- Now use the swabs and alcohol to get in between and around the keys. Again, make sure you squeeze out the liquid before touching the keyboard.
- Wipe with a lint-free cloth.
- Let the keyboard sit, upside down, for a while just to be sure it is very dry before reconnecting the keyboard to the computer.
Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Husband comes in from the garage with dirty hand and turns on the TV. Your child with sticky hands tries to reach the balloon on the cartoon he is watching. There are numerous ways the television screen gets dirty and messy, but STOP, don't haul out the glass cleaner! The new televisions aren't the same as the old style. Learn how to clean them properly and protect your expensive electronics. Click the link below.
How to clean a TV screen
How to clean a TV screen
Monday, February 3, 2014
- Can you get to another website? Try Google.com or Yahoo.com. If they answer is no, your problem is probably your connection. You will need to troubleshoot your internet connection and possibly contact your ISP. If the answer is yes, you can see the search engine website, move onto the next step.
- What is the error message you are receiving?
- The webpage cannot be found (HTTP 404) - This means this page is no longer there. Try going to the website's home page. Were you able to view the home page? Yes? Great. If the answer is no, move onto the next step.
- The website cannot display the page (HTTP 500) - If you get this message, the website is having server problems. The website could be having server problems or it may be shut down. Try again later and see if your results are the same.
- Is the website requiring some sort of plugin or additional software (such as FLASH) to view the site? Install the software needed to view the site. Can you see it? Yes! Great!
- On rare occasions, you might need to try another browser. Do you see the webpage in another browser? Yes? Great! No, move onto the next step.
- You might need to clean your browsers cache. This is different for various browsers but usually found in the options section of your browser. Do a search for your particular browser to find this answer as there are so many versions and configurations and not enough room to list them all here. Did this work? Yes? Great! No, move onto the next step.
- Do you have parental software or security software that is blocking the site? You might want to reconsider viewing the site. If you absolutely know it is ok, contact the software company to let them know about the problem.
- On some rare occasions, the ISP will block websites. Try accessing the website through a proxy server. go to a proxy server such as http://www.unblock-proxy.net/. Can you see the website? Great! If not, move onto the next step.
- If after all these attempts, the website most likely isn't accessible. You might want to contact the company via phone and let them know about the problem. You might also want to talk to a web professional that might be able to do even more detailed research on the problem.
Happy Surfing! ☺